Chocolate Rasberry Crumble Bars (dairy free)

   

I was invited to a potluck baby shower and my immediate thought of what to bring was a raspberry crumble bar, then I found out the theme was chocolate so I pieced together this recipe from a bunch of internet recipe stalking. I have been really into baking fruit crumbles lately—like, I've made a dozen in the past month—I know...I need help. But, who can blame me with all the yummy fruit coming into peak season and filling the grocery stores with their intoxicating fragrances...okay now I definitely sound crazy. Hmmm, maybe it has to do with the copious amounts of chocolate and pure sure I have ingested in the last 24 hourss. It took me 3 tries to get this recipe right but it was sooooo worth it!


The recipe calls for a layer of chocolate syrup. I opted to make my own but you could also use store bought. This was my first time making dairy free chocolate syrup from scratch and I'm not gonna lie, I struggled, but right when I was about to give up I realized it was working and in the end turned out fine. I made a triple batch of what I am listing for the recipe and it lasted me 3 attempts and then some. The great thing about doing a big batch is you can keep it in the fridge for recipes like this, hot fudge topping or making chocolate milk, the down side is it takes a long time FOREVER to thicken. So if you go that route I would suggest making it in advance.

Make the crumble, reserve 1 1/2 cup, pat the rest into the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 10 minutes then remove.
Now for the toppings! Feeling like a cooking pro with my snazzy assembly line, one of those rare moments when I'm actually organized in the kitchen lol

First layer of toppings, the ooey gooey goodness of chocolate syrup...

Then some chocolate chunks...

Add a splash of red raspberries...

Cover with chocolate remaining crumble...

 Sprinkle on a few more chocolate chunks for good measure ;)
 Then back in the oven for 20-25 minutes.

Cool completely, cut and serve!



Recipe
   Syrup
   1 cup Soy Milk
   1 cup Sugar
   3/4 cup Enjoy Life Mega Chunk (dairy free chocolate chips)
   1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

    Crumble
    1 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 cup Earth Balance Vegan Margarine
    1 large egg, beaten
   
    Topping
    1 cup Enjoy Life Mega Chunk (dairy free chocolate chips)
    1 small package raspberries

Instructions
Syrup
COMBINE soy milk, sugar, chocolate chunks and cocoa powder in a saucepan. Stir over low/medium heat until chocolate chips are melted. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, allow to boil for 1-2 minutes then reduce heat and simmer stirring frequently until desired thickness. Remove from heat and allow to cool while you prepare the crumble (or put in an airtight container in the fridge to use later).

Bars
PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Coat 13 x 9-inch pan with Earth Balance Vegan Margarine (about 1/2 Tbs). Rinse raspberries and put in a bowl, sprinkle with a pinch of sugar and set aside.
 
COMBINE flour, sugar and cocoa in large bowl. Cut in butter, mix with a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg. Mix until well blended. Measure out 1 1/2 cups crumb mixture and set aside. Press remaining crumbs evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven and layer with toppings. First, Spread syrup evenly over partially baked crust. Next sprinkle the chocolate chunks and raspberries on top of the crust. Cover with the reserved crumb mixture. Sprinkle a couple chocolate chunks on top for good measure :). Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely. Cut into bars and serve!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting!! They were so yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked them! Thanks for all your encouragement while I was botching the first few batches lol

      Delete